Today I will share with you how to increase your productivity.
But first, let me share something with you that will make you think I am WEIRD.
Ok… after reading this, you will think I am VERY VERY WEIRD.
I’m about to get on a long flight from Los Angeles to Sydney now. I am really excited for this trip not only because this will be my first time to Australia but because of the LONG flight! Y
es, I was so excited about this long plane ride!
Because I always take Cathay Pacific (due to my miles and VIP benefits), flying nonstop was not a option. So… there are 2 parts to the flight:
Part 1: Los Angeles to Hong Kong is 14 hours
Part 2: Hong Kong to Sydney is 9 hours
So that is a total of 23 hours!
and that does not even include the transit time…
WHY I LOVE LONG FLIGHTS
I love long flights for the same reason why I love getting up at 3:30am in the morning. I love the peace and quiet and how I can get things done! Flying is even better than the morning hours because the morning hours last only 3 hours before the “world wakes up”… while in this journey, I have 23 hours all to myself with no interruptions!
I will have 23 hours to myself where I can get so many things done.
KEY TO PRODUCTIVITY
Everyone has big dreams and a big project they want to work on. For some it may be to write a book… for others it may be to spend time volunteering… for some
it may be to start a part time business… everyone has these big projects they want to do but unfortunately… most people say they never have time to work on their big project…… or they run out of time. However the sad truth is that most people have the time to do the things that are important but they do NOT use their time wisely. You increase productivity and can do more in less time when you focus 1 thing at a time. You have to limit the distractions and eliminate multi-tasking all together. Do your best to create an environment where you will not be distracted and you can focus on the task at hand. It may be difficult at first but once you start doing this, you will find yourself much more productive and get things done faster.
The reason why focusing 1 thing at a time increases productivity is because our brains cannot just leave the project you are working on and then jump back to it and work at the same speed and thought as you were before you had left. Your brain will require time to warm up again or most often, when you get back to your project, you will forget the great idea you had.
Here are 2 analogies to how your brain works:
– If you play a musical instrument, can you play piano for 15 minutes and then jump to playing violin and then go eat for 15 minutes and then jump back to violin and then watch 10 minutes of a tv show and then expect to go back to your piano and play as well as you did before everything happened? Of course not! You will need time to warm up to piano again and the time it takes to warm up is TIME WASTED.
– Or if you like sports; can you go from playing basketball to switching to play soccer and then switch to lifting weights and then switching to run 100 meter dash and then going back and expecting to play basketball at the same level before? Of course not! Because each sport requires different skills and muscles and your brain will have to warm up to basketball again.
It is the same with everything else. Your brain cannot jump from one task to another without suffering from decrease in productivity. Universities have done published studies already that show how multitasking wastes time and decreases productivity.
5 TIPS TO ELIMINATE DISTRACTIONS
1) Do not check email nor Facebook messages immediately after they come in – best way to do this is turn off your notifications and set up a specific time of the day where you check emails.
2) Turn off online instant messaging.
3) Do not pick up the phone. (the phone call is not life nor death and you can call that person back in an hour)
4) Do not answer your text messaging. (just make it simple and turn off your phone)
5) Find a place and quiet place where you won’t’ be disturbed
I realize that sometimes you cannot avoid the distractions. You may be waiting for an important customer to call or if the baby needs help, then you have to stop what you are doing and tend to that matter.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
You can’t avoid certain things but you can create an environment where you can have the peace and quiet to get your most important projects done. You can set up a specific time where you tell people you will not be available unless it is an emergency. You don’t need to wake up at 3:30am nor need a 23 hour plane ride. All you need to do to start this success habit is set aside ONE HOUR each day where you will not be interrupted. Do your best to set the same time each day and do this every day. Once you set up the time, use this time to work on your big project or use this time to work on the nagging small little things so that you will HAVE TIME to do what you really want in life. After 21 days, you will see dramatic results! I guarantee it!
WHAT I PLAN TO DO ON THIS FLIGHT
So… back to my weirdness… what do I actually plan to do on this flight? I always plan because… Remember, failing to plan is planning to fail!
– Sleep! – I can get a good 10 hours of sleep on a long distance international flight. Even since Ethan was born, I can’t remember the last time I got to sleep so much! The key to getting good sleep for me is a window seat, ear plugs and eye patch. All 3 are a must. I also make sure to tell the stewardess when I board the plane to NOT disturb me. I don’t care if I miss meals or snacks but I do NOT want to be waken up!
– I will be working on some major projects that require intense concentration (I know once I land, I will be busy so this is the best time to get these projects done)
– Reading… tons of reading… tons
– Write: I plan to write different chapters of my book
– Going over my journal and reflecting on what I have learned and where I am going in my life and businesses
The one thing I do NOT do is watch movies… to me, that would be too much of a waste of this “golden productive time” on the plane. Most people may watch movies but I see this as a great opportunity for me to get ahead of others.
My goal is to get as much done and get good sleep. The sleep will allow me to be on the ground up and running at full speed once I land. There will be tons of things to do and tons of fun at Sydney. I can’t wait!
YOUR NEXT STEP
Look at your schedule this week and choose the best time where you will set asides 60 minutes each day to work on your big projects. Do this for 21 straight days and you will see amazing results. You will get more done in less time. And most importantly, not only will you get more done, but the work you do will be better and you can work on things that really matter to you!
Let me know how it goes!
P.S. If you want to learn about a Business Training Program that can improve your Communication Skills quickly while you earn income, please contact me directly.