May just came and went!
For years, until I moved to LA, May used to be my favorite month. Why? Because it was the first month where the weather warmed up and you knew the summer was near. Often it would feel like the summer. Back in my elementary school days, we had no ac so it would start to get real hot inside the classrooms… but we were all happy and didn’t complain about it cause we knew there was only 1 more month of school before our summer vacation would start!
And then in college at Columbia… May was always a tough month… .it was the MOST beautiful month in NYC and all you wanted to do is spend it outdoors and enjoy the weather… but on the other hand, it was the month of finals as well! I always did better in the fall semester cause it was so much easier to study when it was 30 degrees outside with negative windchill of 10 outside, than when it was 70s and sunny outside in May.
I guess I am reminiscing… cause in LA, I have lost that “May” feeling. In LA, the weather is so nice 12 months of the year that it feels like May every month! And then the months just come and go and you don’t see any seasons at all…
I can’t believe it is June 1 already… May just came and went.
Kelly is due only 9 days from now! Wow… exciting! And scary at the same time… but the first word that comes to my mind is gratitude. I think during this entire pregnancy thing, I have come closer to God more than ever. The whole creation thing just amazes me. It is really amazing and I feel so blessed. One of my Christian friends, Cameron Harrison, put it in a good perspective; he said that “God is incredible. You really didn’t do that much Simon; and then 9 months later, a fully function human being will come out with eyes, ears, lungs, heart, blood vessels, etc, etc. Man could not create something so perfect.” I could not agree more!
I’ve been reading a TON lately (especially on being a dad and raising kids)… Here are some of the books that I have read in the last 4 – 6 weeks.
1) Switch by Dan and Chip Health – AWESOME book on how to make “changes” in your life. I will be writing a blog devoting to this book and the lessons I learned soon
2) The Expectant Father by Brott and Ash – boring but a helpful reference guide
3) What to Expect When Your Wife is Expanding by Hill – a parody on the famous “What to Expect When You’re Expecting” book. Funny but useful and easy read
4) Brain Rules by John Medina – great book. NY Times Bestseller. I will write more on this later
5) Brain rules for Babies by John Medina – AWESOME book on how to raise kids. I can write a few blogs on this one! Stay tuned
6) No BS Time Management for Entrepreneurs by Dan Kennedy – this was SO good that I read it in 2 days! One of the top 5 books I’ve read in the past 3 years. I loved his writing style. It was just as the title mentioned; “no bs”
In mid-May, believe it or not, we had our first “BBQ” at my house. It was just a small get together with some friends and business partners… it was just a “get together” and then after we were all eating and stuff, it was then that I realized that after living in the house for over 2 1/2 years, that this was my first BBQ ever! For health reasons, I guess you can say I’m not the biggest fans of barbecues and that’s probably the main reason.
Kelly and I also decided to check out the annual Strawberry Festival. I’ve never been a fan of “county fares” or “festivals” but we decided to check it out. It was out in Oxnard and a good hour drive so it was like another 1 day “babymoon” again. We’ve been doing our best to do as many things together before baby arrives. Festivals are not my thing but it was good to check it out and know what it’s about. These were the 2 most memorable things there:
Until next time,