It’s been over a month since I’ve been back from Asia. It’s been great to be in Los Angeles and just relax and chill at home. Kelly and I have been busy with our home renovation. We are undergoing major projects and it is so exciting! We are getting the entire interior painted, new lights, new crown molding, etc. etc. So exciting! These projects will take some time though… and of course… I am NOT doing most of it. I have a good friend helping me out.
Been relaxing at home but at the same time, it has helped clear my mind and get me working on some huge business projects. Once these projects come into fruition, business will be even better in the next 12 – 18 months. I will share more when the appropriate time arrives but one hint is that I am re-branding my company and targeting a specific niche.
Some business success to share!
We have also started to do free health wecbasts every Monday night to help the general public become aware of how to live healthier. The webcasts are conducted by Dr. Sam Young (graduated from School of Medicine from Univ. of Georgia and then later served in the US military as a Colonel). The webcasts have free admission and are hosted every Monday evening at 9pm E.S.T. (Tuesday 9am for Asia time). You can attend by going to www.dimdim.com and join “samyoungmd”
I had minor knee surgery on Mar. 1 to repair torn meniscus. I was able to recover super quickly… I guess it’s because I am in great shape and also I take tons of supplements. Within 3 days, I was able to do some light yoga which helped the knee recover even faster. The inverted headstands and deep breathing helped decrease the swelling. Within 1 week, I was on an elliptical already. I really want to start jogging again but my therapists is telling me to wait 1 more week just to be safe.
The MOST EXCITING thing that I have done in the last 4 weeks is commit myself to this speed reading course. This is an amazing book, Breakthrough Rapid Reading by Peter Kump. In just 3 weeks, I have more than doubled my reading speed! It is awesome… but it does require commitment. There are tons of drills in the book and you must be committed to doing the drills at least 5 – 6 times a week (spend 20 – 30 minutes each time). But it is well worth it. You learn new techniques on how to read and the results have been amazing. Even though I am only half way through the course, I’ve been able to double my speed and read so many more books. I’ve got this entire stack of books on my shelf to read and I have been able to go through many of them. When I started the book, I was not a slow reader. I was reading about 350 words per minute but currently I am reading anywhere form 700 – 900 words a minute!!! (depends on the subject and how tough the book is written).
Asides from Breakthrough Rapid Reading, here are the other books I have read and currently reading since I last wrote:
1) Super Learning by Ostrander and Schreider – talks about how to learn faster through visualization, music, relaxation and meditation
2) His Needs Her Needs by William Harley – one of the classic books on how to live a happy marriage
3) Happy Spouse Happy House by Pat Williams – great easy read. Written by GM of the Orlando Magic. This guy has 18 kids!
4) Cash in a Flash by Robert G. Allen and Mark Victor Hansen – great easy and fun read but contains deep info. The best part was the reminder that each one of us has 2 voices that speak to us. The “Inner Winner” and the “Inner Whiner”
5) On Negotiating by Mark McCormack – good re-read. I first read this book when I was a sports agent back in 2002
6) What They Don’t Teach You at Harvard Business School by Mark McCormack – the classic book on business street smarts. This is my 3rd time reading this book and I get something new every time I re-read it.
You may notice that I am investing a big part of my time in my marriage. I am taking the same approach to marriage as I am with other subjects. Instead of “winging it” and go with the flow, I am studying and learning how to become the best husband and have the best marriage. The man upstairs, God, has also played an amazing role in our marriage. What I have learned from God and from the books so far has been very helpful and things with Kelly and I are better than ever! I guess if more people took a few minutes each day to invest and learn about how marriages actually “work”, our divorce rate would not be 50%.
Until next time,